Saturday, March 30, 2013

Out of This World! Context Clues

I just posted my newest packet to Teachers Pay Teachers.  I'm kind of excited about this one because it's new-ish territory for me!  I hope you guys like it!



Out of This World! Context Clues is designed to help kids figure out unfamiliar vocabulary based on the context of the passage.  They get to play the role of an astronaut on a newly discovered planet.  Their mission?

          On the planet you have encountered a group of aliens.  
          They seem friendly.  They speak a language that is similar
          to English, but some of the words they use are VERY different. 
          Use context clues to figure out what the alien words mean. 


Here's a sample of the short stories:



Once the students have figured out the alien words, they can name the alien language and create a dictionary:



There are some other fun activities for the students to do once they've figured out the meaning of the words.

1.  Silly Sentences:  Use the alien words (or words) to formulate a sentence:



2.  Alien Categories:  Sort the alien words into categories:



3.  When you're done, find your alien name and the alien name of some of your friends!



What do you think?  You can find the packet HERE in my TPT store.  You can also enter to win a copy (I'll give away 2) using the rafflecopter below!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

17 comments :

  1. I could always use more context clues activities or any activities dealing with text interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great packet, I can always use activities for context clues. I am also always on the lookout for auditory reasoning activities. Thanks for the giveaway.
    ssjvarga@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auditory reasoning and everything comprehension! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short stories! P.S. love the new blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with comprehension and also sentence correction. My students have a difficult time listening to sentences and determining if they are grammatically correct or not, and then correcting them. I really like the new blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything related to logic, reasoning, or problem solving is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Activities for my nonverbal or lower functioning kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can always use inference and narrative developing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see more activities targeting social skills or fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this activity! I also like to see activities for grammar and social skills. It would be great if packets included homework pages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cam always use more figurative language activities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a nice "twist" on using context clues strategies. A great addition to teaching this concept.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the feedback everyone! A few more days and I'll pick the winners :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the "story" that goes with solving the clues! I enjoy activities like this that target those higher level language concepts... though I always look forward to your book of the week posts as well!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great product! I am always looking for more activities to do with my low-functioning kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love classroom activities! I go in to two classrooms for students with cognitive impairments and am always looking for something fun when I co-teach with the special ed teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...