Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Monster vs. SLP in Training

Help!  I think I've created a monster! Or maybe just a future SLP in training....You decide.  This is a typical conversation in my house:

"Is this purple?"
          Yes! That is purple.
"No.  I think you should look again.  Is it purple or green?"
          Oh, it's green.
"Much better!  It is green! Nice!"
          Thank you!

If it wasn't obvious, the quotes in green were said by my soon-to-be-four year old son and the purple, (you guessed it) me!


Conversations like this are a daily occurrence in my house.  I can't even tell you how often I'm corrected on the names of toys/characters ("No, that's Mr. Waternoose.  Say 'Water' now say 'noose'!").  Don't even get me started on semantics!  I had just gotten off the phone with the groomers at Petco before this little exchange...Mom, who were you talking to? Petco.  Mom, Petco can't talk. It's a STORE!  Ok, I was talking to the lady at Petco.  That's more like it!

After being home for two weeks and getting corrected constantly, I'm starting to feel a little sympathy for our students!  (Also wondering "Is that what I sound like?").  I've been thinking, "Oh Boy! I've created a monster!"  Now I'm wondering if we have a future SLP in training!

I know your kids have had "speechy moments" too!  What's the funniest "speechy" thing your child has done/said?


9 comments :

  1. I was working with a child on labeling and he was pulling items out of a bag. He pulled out a plastic ice cube and started staring at it quizzically. I smiled at him and said "Yeah that's a toughy." - so he assumed it was called a "toughy". I always wondered if he went home and requested "toughys" in his water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA HA! I love that! I've had a similar experience with "tricky." :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, he is so cute! My kids correct me (and each other) all the time, too. The most frequent correcter is my four-year-old son: "No, (to his sister), you can't say HIDED behind the chair. HIDED isn't even a word! You have to say HID behind the chair!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about four-year-olds? Awesome that he gets irregular verbs though!

      Delete
  3. Love stories about your son! My DD13 is now able to pick out disorders when we watch TV and movies. She really loves it when I try to recruit all of her friends into becoming SLPs! Not really, but she does tolerate it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! My husband is the one in my family who attempts to diagnose (or get me to diagnose) people on TV. And why not recruit her friends? There are worse professions to be in!

      Delete
  4. I love this post about your son and the comment about your husband. I must say that my husband also asks for on the spot diagnostics for people on TV and anyone else that he considers to have a speech issue :)
    Your blog has been a blessing to me as a SLPA and soon to be graduate student for communication disorders. Your creativity is a true gift.
    -Brenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Brenna! I'm glad you found the blog and I wish you good luck in grad school! :)

      Delete
  5. So cute! My child is a little OCD about speech and grammar, and I appreciate his awareness of language. When he was about 4, we got a puppy. I took the pup to the vet to get fixed, and when I picked my son up from day care, he asked me, "Did Gunny have his tentacles removed?" We still laugh about that. Love your blog, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...