Thursday, November 8, 2012

Newsletter Changes

I've mentioned on the Facebook page that Massachusetts has a new educator evaluation system.  We have a rubric for parent communication, and it seems as though the newsletter I posted back in September is lacking.  The newsletter that I had started sending home is an example of one-way communication and doesn't allow for parent input.  So, after a meeting with some colleagues the other day, this is what I'm going to start doing (Thank you Maureen & Melanie).

You've seen these calendars that I print on the back of my newsletter.  They are from the Moog Center for Deaf Education:


Well, I'm going to have parents check off the activities that they complete with their children.  Each student who completes at least 10 activities will be able to pick a prize from my prize box.  I also added in a box for parent comments/concerns/questions.  Hopefully, this will open the door for 2-way communication!  Instead of going on the back of my newsletter, it will be a second page to make it easier for parents to return.



What works for you in communicating with parents?



7 comments :

  1. For my preschoolers, I send out a letter every month regarding themes and what we're working on in speech. I include the vocabulary words with pictures (2 sets) so they can make games/practice the vocabulary words as well as give a few specific ideas for "homework" such as looking for 5 items that match our current concept (preposition, color, descriptor, etc.)

    I also include a calendar with ideas I've brainstormed for the month...which, I have to say, can be quite a bit of work some months. I provide an area for feedback, but most of my parents just email or call to talk with me.

    Rebecca
    Talking With Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! I wish I had more time in the week to do more for homework....maybe next year! :) Thanks for sharing your ideas!

      Delete
  2. I love the visuals on your newsletter!!! I have a spot for parents to sign and return and also circle what they did with the child. I don't have a box for input...but I have (once in a blue moon) had a parent write on the back of the paper before it was returned. I check off every time a homework paper is returned so I have that data (in case a parent complains that their child is not making progress!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks also for Prof X bday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh! Great idea about keeping data on the HW returns! I'll definitely have to do that! And, you're welcome! I hope he enjoyed his b-day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...