Monday, December 10, 2012

Penguin Plurals FREEBIE

This week in my speech room, I'm continuing my Gingerbread theme.  I figured some of you may want to get ready for January though, so I'm going to be posting some of my Winter themed activities this week!

I don't know if this is country-wide, but Massachusetts just passed a new Educator Evaluation System.  As a result, we all (teachers, SLPs, OTs, PTs, etc.) have to write up smart goals for student improvement and professional practice.

For my plan, I noticed that many of my just-turned-three preschool students had significantly reduced MLU (< 2.0).  Because of this, I wrote a goal to increase MLU in a cohort of these students (I know that probably sounds weird since increasing MLU is a goal for most of our students) and to research EBP methods for increasing MLU.  What better way to increase MLU than to increase use of morphological markers?

Here's an activity I plan to use...The penguin graphic is from Scrappin' Doodles.  All other graphics are from Graphics Factory.


It's actually a modified version of an activity I created a few years ago.  There are 24 cards with penguins holding a piece of paper containing objects (regular plurals only).  There are 8 plural nouns with each type of plural ending (/s/, /z/ and/ez/).  You can ask students to simply name the plural noun or use a carrier phrase (e.g., “The penguin wants/has two dogs” ). 





You can download a copy here.  If you do, let me know what you think!  (For some reason, when I converted to a PDF, one of the pages turned upside down, but the content is unchanged.  Not sure how to fix it right now.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...