Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Don't Throw it Away! (Magazines)

I have a confession to make....

I'm a pack rat!  

I have a hard time throwing things away.  I very often think, "I can use that!"  I'm guessing that some of you might be the same way.  So, here's what I'm thinking.  Once every-so-often (I'd like to say once per week, but I'm not sure I'd be able to stick to it!) I'm going to post a way to re-use/recycle things you already have into therapy activities!  Here's the first - 

Magazines!

You've probably seen posts about re-using your magazines for the pictures and stories.  I save them for the Ads!  



Why?  Well magazine ads are LOADED with higher level language concepts!  What you're likely to find in the ads:
  • figurative language
  • idioms
  • similes
  • metaphors
  • multiple meanings
  • humor
  • and language that requires the reader to take a different perspective/point of view and/or use inferencing skills!




In case you can't read the captions, here's what some of the ads say:

The first picture:
  • Jelly Belly Jelly Beans:  Music to your mouth.
  • Aussie Hairspray:  Don't be hard headed.
  • Excedrin:  Migraines so bad I want to take my head off.
  • Juice:  A full serving of vegetables inside
  • Chewing Gum:  Survive a snack attack

The second picture:
  • Mr. Peanut:  He's famous for two things - Planter's nuts and winning staring contests (Go ahead, try him!)
  • Fresh Step:  It works so well, your cat will need help finding the litterbox.
  • Chips Ahoy:  They go fast!
  • Meow Mix:  Yes, it tastes that fresh!

Do you use magazine ads in your therapy sessions?  What do you use them to target?


PS, Have a great idea for re-using/recycling what you already have for therapy? If you're interested in writing a guest post to tell us about it, send me an email to cmanchester57@gmail.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...